|IT READS HERE ON…|
Result of the joint work of many artists, the building that lodges the Groningen Museum is a work of art in itself. In their interior, complete collections cover diverse areas of interest: Visual art and after 1950, Arts before applied and Archeology and History compose the treasure of the museum, distributed in a interior magnificently designed by outstanding international artists.
In the Eighties, the political ups and downs generated diverse problems as far as the location of the museum. It was decided to locate it in an island in the river basin of the connection channel, against the station, thanks to the donation of a local gas company, but the expectations of the advice and the company at issue went by different courses.
Allessandro Mendini was chosen by the director of the museum to design the new building, taking care of the opinions of the advice, who preferred a construction that did not contrast strongly with the historical surroundings in which it would be. International designers and artists participated in the accomplishment of this monumental work, that is divided in three sections, united in the level inferior by a central runner.
On the building he emphasizes the room of gold storage. The central part of the building, designed by Mendini, includes the coffee, the Italian restaurant, the store of the museum and the library. The lateral sectors contain the galleries of the museum, distributed in two pavilions designed by different architects.
In the part this, the cellar covered with red brick contains the collection of archeology and history, and was projected by architect Michele de Lucchi. The sector superi